snd_dummy setting for skype

Henry Huang-2
I went through the wiki on mod_skypiax and see there should be a script to make skype work without sound card in linux. Does anyone know where to obtain that script to make sound work "without sound card"?

I am currently creating a /etc/asound.conf for skype to load the "fake" sound driver. I do hear sound, but it's not perfect, it's very choppy and it gives me error message when starting skype. The following is my asound.conf setting. Hopefully someone can shed some light :
pcm.plugfile{
    type plug
    slave {
        pcm infile
        format S16_LE
        channels 1
        rate 16000
    }
}

pcm.infile {
    type file
    slave {
        pcm null
    }
    file /dev/dsp
    infile /dev/dsp
}

by using this configuration. skype spit out error messages as follow but still works:
ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL plugfile
ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL infile

--
Henry Huang
UniC Solution - Communication Unified

Re: snd_dummy setting for skype

Giovanni Maruzzelli
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 1:32 AM, Henry Huang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I went through the wiki on mod_skypiax and see there should be a script to
> make skype work without sound card in linux. Does anyone know where to
> obtain that script to make sound work "without sound card"?

Dear Henry,
I apologize if the wiki page was not clear.

snd-dummy is an ALSA driver (loadable module for the linux kernel)
that you load like the other ALSA modules using the 'modprobe'
command, no need at all to create an asound.conf file.

You can find an example on how to load snd-dummy in the first lines of
the script mod_skypiax/configs/startskype.sh

I modified the wiki page, could you check is now clear?

Thanks for reporting this, please continue to help us!

Sincerely,

Giovanni Maruzzelli
www.celliax.org
via Pierlombardo 9, 20135 Milano