mod_portaudio on Raspberry Pi currently broken?

mod_portaudio on Raspberry Pi currently broken?

Lesley Pervis
I compiled mod_portaudio for rpi (arm11) in January. No problem.

I compiled it again this week. Problem. Logs show it can't find any devices.

So I copy the mod_portaudio.so and mod_portaudio_la from January to the newly compiled installation, and voila, devices found.

I did a git diff in src/mod/endpoints/mod_portaudio, and there have been a couple of changes in the mod_portaudio.c file, but nothing that would explain this.

Mod-portaudio source doesn't seem to have changed, just the way it's build. (Still version 1899, V19-devel.)

The newer mod_portaudio.la shows different dependences, and the new mod_portaudio.so is much smaller.

I think mod_portaudio is currently broken for raspberry pi and likely other platforms too. Anyone have any insight?

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: mod_portaudio on Raspberry Pi currently broken?

Ken Rice-2
Re: [Freeswitch-users] mod_portaudio on Raspberry Pi currently broken? I ran into the same thing myself and it should work just fine, I’ll be updating my builds tonight, as tomorrow I will be on the VUC call to discuss raspberry pi, freeswitch and the switchpi.org project

On 4/18/13 4:31 PM, "Lesley Pervis" <lesley.pervis@...> wrote:

I compiled mod_portaudio for rpi (arm11) in January. No problem.

I compiled it again this week. Problem. Logs show it can't find any devices.

So I copy the mod_portaudio.so and mod_portaudio_la from January to the newly compiled installation, and voila, devices found.

I did a git diff in src/mod/endpoints/mod_portaudio, and there have been a couple of changes in the mod_portaudio.c file, but nothing that would explain this.

Mod-portaudio source doesn't seem to have changed, just the way it's build. (Still version 1899, V19-devel.)

The newer mod_portaudio.la <http://mod_portaudio.la>  shows different dependences, and the new mod_portaudio.so is much smaller.

I think mod_portaudio is currently broken for raspberry pi and likely other platforms too. Anyone have any insight?

consulting@...
http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

FreeSWITCH-users mailing list
FreeSWITCH-users@...

Ken
http://www.FreeSWITCH.org
http://www.ClueCon.com
http://www.OSTAG.org
irc.freenode.net #freeswitch

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: mod_portaudio on Raspberry Pi currently broken?

Lesley Pervis
Wow, that's great, thanks. Hadn't heard of switchpi yet. FS and pi seem made for each other.

Forgot to mention, I was building on the stable branch.

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Ken Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Raymond Chandler
On 13-04-18 07:24 PM, Lesley Pervis wrote:
> Wow, that's great, thanks. Hadn't heard of switchpi yet. FS and pi
> seem made for each other.
>
> Forgot to mention, I was building on the stable branch.
we're testing the latest version of portaudio in a branch right now.
feel free to test and comment your findings on
http://jira.freeswitch.org/browse/FS-3387

-Ray

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: mod_portaudio on Raspberry Pi currently broken?

Lesley Pervis
So I thought I'd try 1.2.9 mod_portaudio on RPi. Fresh install, running FS as root, with the only change to add mod_portaudio to modules.conf.xml, but mod_portaudio is unable to find devices. Alsa is working fine. I can aplay files and get output. Any ideas on how to get a somewhat stable branch of FS working with mod_portaudio?

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Raymond Chandler <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 13-04-18 07:24 PM, Lesley Pervis wrote:
> Wow, that's great, thanks. Hadn't heard of switchpi yet. FS and pi
> seem made for each other.
>
> Forgot to mention, I was building on the stable branch.
we're testing the latest version of portaudio in a branch right now.
feel free to test and comment your findings on
http://jira.freeswitch.org/browse/FS-3387

-Ray

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: mod_portaudio on Raspberry Pi currently broken?

Lesley Pervis
Raymond, I think I found the right commit for your branch. I'll give it a whirl on the Pi.

b514f62ed6c00949f407fda64abbf643681af4ee    refs/heads/FS-3387_new_pa

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Raymond Chandler <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 13-04-18 07:24 PM, Lesley Pervis wrote:
> Wow, that's great, thanks. Hadn't heard of switchpi yet. FS and pi
> seem made for each other.
>
> Forgot to mention, I was building on the stable branch.
we're testing the latest version of portaudio in a branch right now.
feel free to test and comment your findings on
http://jira.freeswitch.org/browse/FS-3387

-Ray

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: mod_portaudio on Raspberry Pi currently broken?

João Mesquita-2
I've chasing this rabbit for some time but latest pa fails to compile on MacOSX Montain Lion.... That's a bitch

João Mesquita
FreeSWITCH™ Solutions

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Lesley Pervis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Raymond, I think I found the right commit for your branch. I'll give it a whirl on the Pi.

b514f62ed6c00949f407fda64abbf643681af4ee    refs/heads/FS-3387_new_pa

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Raymond Chandler <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 13-04-18 07:24 PM, Lesley Pervis wrote:
> Wow, that's great, thanks. Hadn't heard of switchpi yet. FS and pi
> seem made for each other.
>
> Forgot to mention, I was building on the stable branch.
we're testing the latest version of portaudio in a branch right now.
feel free to test and comment your findings on
http://jira.freeswitch.org/browse/FS-3387

-Ray

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: mod_portaudio on Raspberry Pi currently broken?

Ken Rice-2
Re: [Freeswitch-users] mod_portaudio on Raspberry Pi currently broken? It works... You need the oss kernel mod loaded in the kernel, and you need asound dev packages loaded then rebuild... Your USB device should then show up in pa devlist

I have some info on switchpi.org reguarding running FS on RaspPi

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Raymond Chandler <intralanman@...> wrote:
On 13-04-18 07:24 PM, Lesley Pervis wrote:
> Wow, that's great, thanks. Hadn't heard of switchpi yet. FS and pi
> seem made for each other.
>
> Forgot to mention, I was building on the stable branch.
we're testing the latest version of portaudio in a branch right now.
feel free to test and comment your findings on
http://jira.freeswitch.org/browse/FS-3387

-Ray

consulting@...
http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

FreeSWITCH-users mailing list
FreeSWITCH-users@...

consulting@...
http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

FreeSWITCH-users mailing list
FreeSWITCH-users@...

Ken
http://www.FreeSWITCH.org
http://www.ClueCon.com
http://www.OSTAG.org
irc.freenode.net #freeswitch

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: mod_portaudio on Raspberry Pi currently broken?

Lesley Pervis
Great info, thanks.

Once I've got it working, I'll add a Raspberry Pi section to the wiki with the exact steps to get it working.

In the meantime, I think this page more or less explains what you're talking about.

http://wiki.debian.org/SoundFAQ

In summary, "apt-get install libasound2-dev alsa-oss" before compiling and either load the OSS modules by hand with "modprobe snd_pcm_oss" and "modprobe snd_mixer_oss" or add the OSS modules to /etc/modules so they load at boot.

You said on your voipusersconference appearance that you're not cross compiling. Still true? There's sure not much oomph to a Pi.

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Ken Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
It works... You need the oss kernel mod loaded in the kernel, and you need asound dev packages loaded then rebuild... Your USB device should then show up in pa devlist

I have some info on switchpi.org reguarding running FS on RaspPi

On 5/16/13 12:25 PM, "Lesley Pervis" <lesley.pervis@...> wrote:

So I thought I'd try 1.2.9 mod_portaudio on RPi. Fresh install, running FS as root, with the only change to add mod_portaudio to modules.conf.xml, but mod_portaudio is unable to find devices. Alsa is working fine. I can aplay files and get output. Any ideas on how to get a somewhat stable branch of FS working with mod_portaudio?

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Raymond Chandler <intralanman@...> wrote:
On 13-04-18 07:24 PM, Lesley Pervis wrote:
> Wow, that's great, thanks. Hadn't heard of switchpi yet. FS and pi
> seem made for each other.
>
> Forgot to mention, I was building on the stable branch.
we're testing the latest version of portaudio in a branch right now.
feel free to test and comment your findings on
http://jira.freeswitch.org/browse/FS-3387

-Ray

consulting@...
http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

FreeSWITCH-users mailing list
FreeSWITCH-users@...

consulting@...
http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

FreeSWITCH-users mailing list
FreeSWITCH-users@...

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: mod_portaudio on Raspberry Pi currently broken?

Ken Rice-2
yep no cross compiling... it takes a while lol... looking to get maybe the same platform the the raspbian guys use for building packages

Ken
Sent from my iPad

On May 16, 2013, at 14:15, Lesley Pervis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: mod_portaudio on Raspberry Pi currently broken?

Thanks for the pointers, Ken, I got it working on the stable branch. I'll add the info to the mod_portaudio wiki page when my wiki account application gets approved.

Found a great Ars Technica article on the Raspbian package building you mentioned.

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Ken Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: mod_portaudio on Raspberry Pi currently broken?

Has anyone got mod_portaudio to discover devices on Debian with FA running as non-root user?

When I run FS as root, devices discovered. When I run as pi or freeswitch ids, no devices discovered. Both users are in the audio group, oss kernel modules are loaded.

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 12:06 AM, Lesley Pervis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: mod_portaudio on Raspberry Pi currently broken?

Re: [Freeswitch-users] mod_portaudio on Raspberry Pi currently broken? This sounds like a permissions issue

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/03/how-two-volunteers-built-the-raspberry-pis-operating-system/

I have some info on switchpi.org <http://switchpi.org>  reguarding running FS on RaspPi

consulting@... <http://consulting@...>

FreeSWITCH-users@... <http://FreeSWITCH-users@...>

[...]

I agree, but I'm not sure where. You've had it working on Wheezy? I usually create a 'freeswitch' user and chown everything in /usr/local/freeswitch to be owned by it, along with /var/run/freeswitch and /var/lib/freeswitch. The freeswitch user is in the audio group. OSS kernel modules are loaded. I tried chowning everything to the 'pi' user as well in case there's something odd in Wheezy for created users, but nope. FS can't see devices running as the pi user either.

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Ken Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

FreeSWITCH-users mailing list
FreeSWITCH-users@... <http://FreeSWITCH-users@...>

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: mod_portaudio on Raspberry Pi currently broken?

Re: [Freeswitch-users] mod_portaudio on Raspberry Pi currently broken? Its not just those directories you’ll have a problem with... There are also permissions on the devices that are required for usb and other devices to work properly... USB devices may or may not have the correct perms for ${whatever} group/user to access them

I have some info on switchpi.org <http://switchpi.org>  <http://switchpi.org>  reguarding running FS on RaspPi

consulting@... <http://consulting@...>  <http://consulting@...>

FreeSWITCH-users@... <http://FreeSWITCH-users@...>  <http://FreeSWITCH-users@...>

[...]

OK, thanks, I'll look around. I'm just using the default device. Audio to line out.

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Ken Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

FreeSWITCH-users mailing list
FreeSWITCH-users@... <http://FreeSWITCH-users@...>  <http://FreeSWITCH-users@...>

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: mod_portaudio on Raspberry Pi currently broken?

Sorry for the spam, but I thought I'd mention that I can aplay no problem from the command line as the 'freeswitch' user, and yet when FS is running as that user, no luck.