att_xfer question

Stuart Mills
Hi all,

I have a question which is hopefully not too complicated.

I’m playing with mid call transfer features, I have an extension in features.conf to do the MCT which works fine, a_leg connects to the b_leg, then b_leg transfer to destination c_leg and can talk.

My question is this, is it then easy for b_leg to toggle the call between a_leg and c_leg, I take it it’s just another feature extension that bridges calls between the 2 legs, could it be that simple?

Kind Regards,

Stuart Mills

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: att_xfer question

João Mesquita-2
This sort of call swapping is not implemented on the source code. I was one of the guys that wanted this type of feature implemented on the core instead of on the endpoint modules or endpoints itself and I have to say that once you understand the code you understand why it is not supposed to be there. I now advocate to completely remove the feature because it causes only headaches and make you look for a solution in the wrong place.

So, to the real question, why are you using att_xfer? I am still waiting for a valid use case.

Regards,
JM

João Mesquita
FreeSWITCH™ Solutions

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 6:38 AM, Stuart Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: [Bulk] Re: att_xfer question

Stuart Mills
Hi João,

Thanks for your reply, the honest answer is it simply seemed like the best way to do it.

Could you recommend another way to implement such features into my service, I am using the ESL to do as much as possible but att_xfer seemed to cater for most features I needed to implement.

Many thanks,

Stuart Mills

Re: [Bulk] Re: att_xfer question

João Mesquita-2
You will have to do it manually. Meaning that you will need to park extensions and keep state yourself. I am working on that exact same thing right now and I can tell you that it is not an easy task.

João Mesquita
FreeSWITCH™ Solutions

Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:37 PM

[...]

Michael S Collins
Twitter: @mercutioviz
http://www.FreeSWITCH.org
http://www.ClueCon.com
http://www.OSTAG.org

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: [Bulk] Re: att_xfer question

João Mesquita-2
That could do the trick but if you want to be swiging between several parked calls like an operator would do, that could cause some pain to implement. The upside of the bridge/unbridge/park/unpark stuff is that one case should work for all if implemeted correctly.

João Mesquita
FreeSWITCH™ Solutions

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Michael Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dmitry Sytchev
Long live AttXfer :))

For example, we use SPA/PAP2T ATAs, and customers often use Asterisk in-call AttXfer via *7 or similar combination

There are no problems to use SIP transfers when customer use VoIP phone, but sometimes it is impossible to mimic in-call transfer behavior with ATA's built-in combinations.

Sometimes it can be done, and we can teach 10, 20, 100 customers to use another way for transfers, but when you have about 5000 customer lines with ATAs it becomes nearly impossible :(

Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:37 PM

[...]

Best regards,

Dmitry Sytchev,
IT Engineer

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Anthony Minessale <[hidden email]> wrote:

Can't the sip phone do this natively?

That was actually my first question several months ago when this first came up. The answer give to me was that there are locations where buying a SIP phone is severely cost prohibitive which means having the server do all the work is a more viable option even though the feature hasn't actually been built yet.

Joao, let us know how this goes for you.

-MC

--
Michael S Collins
Twitter: @mercutioviz

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: [Bulk] Re: att_xfer question

João Mesquita-2
MC, this is true. IP Phones are expensive in Brazil and Argentina at least. If I recall correctly, the cheapest one I could find in Argentina goes for 66USD + taxes (21%) from Audiocodes (the smallest model). Nonethless it is pretty hard to find a phone/ATA these days that don't support transfers....

The only valid use case I can think of is the one I described where you want an external application to control transfers (CTI application for example). But then again, att_xfer contributes very little to that if you want to have full control of it.

Open source is this exactly, we can't make everyone happy and I can see that att_xfer is used by a very few ppl so I advocate to remove the application entirely. Specially because where it is implemented it is very hard to maintain and depends on the understanding of several parts of the core. Yet another task that sits on the lap of the core devs... Anyhow, just my 2 cents...

João Mesquita
FreeSWITCH™ Solutions

[...]

Anyway, swap is not possible in attxfer, it could be coded as a new thing but its not in there now and it would be rather complicated.
You could probably do it with bind_digit_action and a custom app in c or lua etc.

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 12:54 PM, João Mesquita <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/

AIM: anthm
[hidden email]
GTALK/JABBER/[hidden email]
IRC: irc.freenode.net #freeswitch

FreeSWITCH Developer Conference
pstn:+19193869900

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: att_xfer question

Stuart Mills
Hi João,

I’m about to visit this issue again, did you manage to get anywhere with it? I could do with a little guidance if you know how to achieve this call swapping feature.

Kind Regards,

Stuart Mills