Reload mod_lua

Mimiko
I want to reload mod_lua in order to reload lua scripts that a starte
automatically on start-up. But I get this:

freeswitch@internal> reload mod_lua
+OK Reloading XML
-ERR unloading module [Module is not unloadable]
-ERR loading module [Module already loaded]

[CRIT] switch_loadable_module.c:1451 Module is not unloadable.
[WARNING] switch_loadable_module.c:1400 Module mod_lua Already Loaded!
[INFO] mod_enum.c:872 ENUM Reloaded
[INFO] switch_time.c:1165 Timezone reloaded 530 definitions

How to refresh modified lua scripts without reloading FS with restart?
--
Mimiko desu.

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: Reload mod_lua

mercutioviz
Lua is not "unloadable" and therefore you cannot do this the way you are trying to. You'll need to restart FreeSWITCH.
-MC

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 9:43 AM, Mimiko <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Michael S Collins
Twitter: @mercutioviz
http://www.FreeSWITCH.org
http://www.ClueCon.com
http://www.OSTAG.org

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: Reload mod_lua

William King
Interesting. A mod_lua api that would list the currently running lua
scripts with an id that could be used to kill off individual scripts.

William King
Senior Engineer
Quentus Technologies, INC
1037 NE 65th St Suite 273
Seattle, WA 98115
Main:   (877) 211-9337
Office: (206) 388-4772
Cell:   (253) 686-5518
[hidden email]

On 21.01.2013 20:52, Michael Collins wrote:
> Lua is not "unloadable" and therefore you cannot do this the way you are
> trying to. You'll need to restart FreeSWITCH.
> -MC

Oh, it's not so good. Update lua scripts that a started within dialplan
execution is updating automatically, but scripts which start with FS
automatically is not convenient to update only restarting FS. May be
there is some method to update lua scripts without restarting FS?

On 21.01.2013 23:47, William King wrote:
> Interesting. A mod_lua api that would list the currently running lua
> scripts with an id that could be used to kill off individual scripts.

Lua scripts, started with FS on start-up must not be killed, but updated
when changing code of script. A killing command for a lua script is ok
for scripts that got in loop/.

--
Mimiko desu.

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: Reload mod_lua

Seven Du
mod_lua was reloadable  but when I found that long-running scripts cannot be  easily stopped the developers changed it to un-reloadable.

I'd find some way to start/stop long-running scripts and I'd seen some implementations based on my example:

On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Mimiko wrote:

On 21.01.2013 23:47, William King wrote:
Interesting. A mod_lua api that would list the currently running lua
scripts with an id that could be used to kill off individual scripts.

Lua scripts, started with FS on start-up must not be killed, but updated
when changing code of script. A killing command for a lua script is ok
for scripts that got in loop/.

--
Mimiko desu.

http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com

FreeSWITCH-powered IP PBX: The CudaTel Communication Server
http://www.cudatel.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
http://www.freeswitch.org
http://wiki.freeswitch.org
http://www.cluecon.com

Re: Reload mod_lua

garmt.noname@gmail.com

Rather than waiting forever using - pop(1) -, you can set a timeout value: pop(1, 500). This allows you to let the lua script do some bookkeeping: check for a hash value, file existence, sql select etc. and the script can decide to end itself, without having to wait for a (specific) event.

Additionally, this will allow lua to do some bookkeeping. If you use a lua script that runs forever while listening for events,  the script may eat your memory, as lua might never get a chance to do proper garbage collection.

Make sure you do not subscribe to all events in your lua script, processing events in lua takes time, just subscribe to the events you need.