First time test set up FreeSwitch and SPA3102/SPA3000

First time test set up FreeSwitch and SPA3102/SPA3000

Aplayful Idiot
I have no background in telephony but probably need to use a PBX.

FreeSwitch was recommended by a casual contact so I would like to start first by setting up a small test.

I have a SPA3102 attached to the box running FS and to a ordinary phone line. I registered SPA in conf/directory/default/line1.xml and it works ok but I can't get caller id numbers from incoming calls. All FS sees is "line1" which is found in file line1.xml as <variable name="effective_caller_id_number" value="line1"/>.

Looking back over the FS wiki, I'm now wondering if the SPA should of been set-up as a gateway but reading it is confusing at least to me. Sometimes I think the analogue-line-SPA-FS is like a softphone which is registered to an extension numbered xml file in conf/directory/default/ but then issues like not getting outside incoming caller id's makes me think I've got this all wrong.

Can someone help me out with this?

api

Re: First time test set up FreeSwitch and SPA3102/SPA3000

Addison Martin
api,

It may help if we knew a little about what you are trying to do.
Could you explain a bit why you think you need a PBX?  What re your
goals, and objective?  Knowing that may help us get you the
information you need.

Regards,

Nik