Quantcast

*** FIXED ***: Latency on Google Voice (GTalk)

*** FIXED ***: Latency on Google Voice (GTalk)

mazilo
This post was updated on .
I have followed this Google Voice Wiki HOWTO to configure my FS v1.0.6 (hosted on an inexpensive Seagate DockStar running on an OpenWRT Linux). My FS has no problem to process outbound/inbound calls. The only problem I have noticed is the audio from B-leg (the audio from the party I conversed to) has about 1.5s latency. I wonder if anyone has noticed this. If anyone out here knows how to fix this, please kindly chime in.

FYI, here is my jingle_profiles/gtalk_client.xml file:
<profile type="client">
  <param name="name" value="gmail.com"/>
  <param name="login" value="<my_gmail_account>@gmail.com/gtalk"/>
  <param name="password" value="secret"/>
  <param name="dialplan" value="XML"/>
  <param name="context" value="public"/>
  <param name="message" value="Google Voice on FreeSwitch"/>
  <param name="rtp-ip" value="auto"/>
  <param name="auto-login" value="true"/>
  <param name="sasl" value="plain"/>
  <param name="server" value="talk.google.com"/>
  <param name="tls" value="true"/>
  <param name="use-rtp-timer" value="true"/>
  <param name="exten" value="1000"/>
  <param name="vad" value="both"/>
  <param name="candidate-acl" value="wan.auto"/>
  <param name="local-network-acl" value="localnet.auto"/>
</profile>
FreeSWITCH hosted on a Seagate DockStar with OpenWRT and ONLY consumes 3 Watts of electricity.

Re: Latency on Google Voice (GTalk)

curriegrad2004
doubt there's anything that anyone can do with this. I think it's just
either the hardware or google's finally catching up.

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 3:18 PM, mazilo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have followed this  http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Google_Voice Google
> Voice Wiki HOWTO  to configure my FS v1.0.6 (hosted on an inexpensive
> Seagate
> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/network_storage/freeagent_dockstar
> DockStar  running on an OpenWRT Linux). My FS has no problem to process
> outbound/inbound calls. The only problem I have noticed is the audio from
> B-leg (the audio from the party I conversed to) has about 1.5s latency. I
> wonder if anyone has noticed this. If anyone out here knows how to fix this,
> please kindly chime in.
>
> FYI, here is my jingle_profiles/gtalk_client.xml file:
> <profile type="client">
>
>  @gmail.com/gtalk"/>

> </profile>
>
> -----
> don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men,
> but not when used together.

Re: Latency on Google Voice (GTalk)

mazilo
Jeffrey Leung wrote
doubt there's anything that anyone can do with this. I think it's just
either the hardware or google's finally catching up.
Thanks for your quick response. If you meant my hardware, I don't see any problem with it. The CPU usage was less than 5% during the call while the RAM usage was about 55MB out of 128MB.

If anyone is interested on how I tested the latency, I used an IPKall DID# and forward its incoming to a Gizmo5 ECHO Test line (1-747-474-3246). Then, use my GV to call my IPKall DID# to hear my own echo after about 2+ seconds. I did the same thing with my WhistlePhone account on my FS PBX System and I could hear my echo almost instantly.
FreeSWITCH hosted on a Seagate DockStar with OpenWRT and ONLY consumes 3 Watts of electricity.

Re: Latency on Google Voice (GTalk)

Anthony Minessale
my only suggestion is to try

rtp-timer-name set to none
in your profile def in the xml for your mod_dingaling profile.

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 5:18 PM, mazilo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have followed this  http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Google_Voice Google
> Voice Wiki HOWTO  to configure my FS v1.0.6 (hosted on an inexpensive
> Seagate
> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/network_storage/freeagent_dockstar
> DockStar  running on an OpenWRT Linux). My FS has no problem to process
> outbound/inbound calls. The only problem I have noticed is the audio from
> B-leg (the audio from the party I conversed to) has about 1.5s latency. I
> wonder if anyone has noticed this. If anyone out here knows how to fix this,
> please kindly chime in.
>
> FYI, here is my jingle_profiles/gtalk_client.xml file:
> <profile type="client">
>
>  @gmail.com/gtalk"/>

> </profile>
>
> -----
> don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men,
> but not when used together.

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/

AIM: anthm
MSN:[hidden email]
GTALK/JABBER/PAYPAL:[hidden email]
IRC: irc.freenode.net #freeswitch

FreeSWITCH Developer Conference
sip:[hidden email]
googletalk:[hidden email]
pstn:+19193869900

Re: Latency on Google Voice (GTalk)

mazilo
Anthony Minessale wrote
my only suggestion is to try

rtp-timer-name set to none
in your profile def in the xml for your mod_dingaling profile.
Anthony, thanks for your quick response.

I made the changes by adding the following line:

<param name="rtp-timer-name" value="none"/>

Then, I had to do a shutdown/restart my FS to make the changes take effect and it works with latency curbed down below 100ms! I don't know why just made the changes and did a dingaling reload on the fs_cli console won't resolve the issue.
FreeSWITCH hosted on a Seagate DockStar with OpenWRT and ONLY consumes 3 Watts of electricity.