2 endpoints behing NATs

Stas Khirman

Hi,

Sorry for novice question:

Successfully setup FreeSWITCH on publicly accessible IP using 1.0.6 standard configuration. No changes in configuration, dial plan, etc…

Basic tests (music,echo,etc) are working ok. However, the problem observed with call between two softphones (X-lite) behind NATs – call signal are coming through but no media. Both NATs are kind of typical household WiFi routers.   Everything ok if one of softphones is connected without NAT.

Does two NATs configuration supported by stock FreeSWITCH ? Can I make it work by changing some configuration parameters or I need something like RTP proxy or similar?

Regards

Stas

Re: 2 endpoints behing NATs

David Ponzone
Stas,

FS includes a RTP Proxy with server-side NAT-traversal capabilities.
So this should work if you register your phones to the internal dialplan, which you probably do.

In the Sip Account/Advanced tab settings of X-lite, you have to check "Use rport".

After that, you can check on FS if the NAT was detected:

sofia status profile internal

You should see your 2 phones connected, each of them with a Contact line.
If this Contact line does not include "fs_nat=yes", then the NAT was not detected, which will probably happen if "Use rport" is missing.

That's a first step.

David Ponzone  Direction Technique
tel:      01 74 03 18 97
gsm:   06 66 98 76 34

Service Client IPeva
tel:      0811 46 26 26

Ce message et toutes les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et établis à l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires. Toute utilisation ou diffusion non autorisée est interdite. Tout message électronique est susceptible d'altération. IPeva décline toute responsabilité au titre de ce message s'il a été altéré, déformé ou falsifié. Si vous n'êtes pas destinataire de ce message, merci de le détruire immédiatement et d'avertir l'expéditeur.

Le 01/09/2010 à 11:25, Stas Khirman a écrit :

Hi,

Sorry for novice question:

Successfully setup FreeSWITCH on publicly accessible IP using 1.0.6 standard configuration. No changes in configuration, dial plan, etc…

Basic tests (music,echo,etc) are working ok. However, the problem observed with call between two softphones (X-lite) behind NATs – call signal are coming through but no media. Both NATs are kind of typical household WiFi routers.   Everything ok if one of softphones is connected without NAT.

Does two NATs configuration supported by stock FreeSWITCH ? Can I make it work by changing some configuration parameters or I need something like RTP proxy or similar?

Regards
Stas

Re: 2 endpoints behing NATs

Stas Khirman

David ,

Thank you for such prompt response!

I checked my X-Lite configuration and find that “Use rport” had been checked.

However, Registration doesn’t include anything about fs_nat(see below). Do I need explicitly configure/load RTP proxy support? If yes, will appreciate instructions.

Regards

Stas

Registrations:

Call-ID:        NTBjOWYyMTM4ZGFlYzFmZjQyZDkwZGZhZmUyODc5NGY.

User:           1005@174.123.63.250

Contact:        "Test User" <sip:1005@24.130.59.97:22150;rinstance=b125d2389d25349c>

Agent:          X-Lite release 1104o stamp 56125

Host:           hostname10178.theplanet.host

IP:             24.130.59.97

Port:           22150

Auth-User:      1005

Auth-Realm:     174.123.63.250

MWI-Account:    1005@174.123.63.250

Re: 2 endpoints behing NATs

Michael Jerris
Administrator
<base href="x-msg://742/">This should already be enabled in the default configuration.  Have you modified anything of note related to ip's, acl's, or nat settings from the default configs?

Mike

On Sep 1, 2010, at 7:36 AM, Stas Khirman wrote:

David ,

Thank you for such prompt response!

I checked my X-Lite configuration and find that “Use rport” had been checked.
However, Registration doesn’t include anything about fs_nat(see below). Do I need explicitly configure/load RTP proxy support? If yes, will appreciate instructions.

Re: 2 endpoints behing NATs

Andrew Thompson-5
On 9/1/2010 5:25 AM, Stas Khirman wrote:
Does two NATs configuration supported by stock FreeSWITCH ? Can I make it work by changing some configuration parameters or I need something like RTP proxy or similar?

Try these settings in your xlite: http://aktzero.com/bytes/configuring-xlite

Also, try calls to 9196 (or maybe it's still 9996 in 1.0.6?) for echo test, before you go trying to debug phone-to-phone.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/

Re: 2 endpoints behing NATs

Stas Khirman
<base href="x-msg://742/">

No, I used default FreeSWITCH configuration from 1.0.6 distribution…

Where have I look to enable fs_nat functions?

Re: 2 endpoints behing NATs

David Ponzone
<base href="x-msg://742/">It is the line:

<param name="apply-nat-acl" value="nat.auto"/>

in the profile.

Le 04/09/2010 à 08:06, Stas Khirman a écrit :

No, I used default FreeSWITCH configuration from 1.0.6 distribution…

Where have I look to enable fs_nat functions?

Re: 2 endpoints behing NATs

mazilo
David Ponzone wrote
It is the line:

in the profile.
Did you mean under conf/sip_profiles/internal.xml file?
FreeSWITCH hosted on a Seagate DockStar with OpenWRT and ONLY consumes 3 Watts of electricity.

Re: 2 endpoints behing NATs

David Ponzone
Yes.

Le 05/09/2010 à 17:45, mazilo a écrit :

David Ponzone wrote:

It is the line:

in the profile.
Did you mean under conf/sip_profiles/internal.xml file?

-----
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men,
but not when used together.